7 ways to communicate with your caregiver
Sesame Street offers insight about the parent-caregiver relationship
Sesame Street offers 7 tips to make these conversations easier. Here are the abbreviated versions. Visit the Sesame Street site for the entire post (and other wonderful advice).
- Little ones listen. Choose a time and place where you can talk alone, away from a child’s ears.
- Be aware of your feelings. Have difficult conversations when you’re calm.
- Share the positive. Don’t just have negative conversations; share regularly when things are going well.
- Take your time. Leave enough time to talk.
- Create a judgment-free zone. Accept that parents and caregivers may have different approaches that are equally valid.
- Use examples. Don’t make broad complaints; be specific.
- Brainstorm solutions. Work together for solutions; don’t just inflict your own.