- This event has passed.
Owning Our Story: About the Overdose Epidemic
January 15, 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pmFree
In just five years, more than 1,200 Rhode Islanders lost their lives to overdosing. The South Kingstown-based COAAST is facing the issue head on by presenting “a powerful evening of sharing and learning,” guest speakers, and an adaptation of its production Four Legs to Stand On.
Guest speakers include:
- Dr. Josiah Rich, MD, MPH, Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, attending physician at Miriam Hospital, and an advisor to Governor Raimondo’s Overdose Prevention and Intervention Task Force. Dr. Rich will present the topic Opioid Use Disorder: Understanding the Stigma and the Disease
- Paul Kandarian, an army combat veteran who served in Afghanistan and was a member of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division; his topic is War and Addiction: The Battle on Two Fronts
- Alyssa Sullivan, yoga teacher, author, and speaker; her presentation is Transcending the Story: The Healing Path of Connection.
Doors open at 6 p.m. for a pre-show and interactive art installations. Rhode Island-based treatment/recovery resources will be available, including:
- Rhode Island Centers of Excellence
- Prevention Coalitions
- Parent and Youth Coalitions.
This free event is brought to you by Creating Outreach About Addiction Support Together and the Rhode Island Department of Health.