Mental Health First Aid
If someone were having a heart attack, you would know what to do. Perform CPR and call 9-1-1. But what if someone is experiencing a panic attack, having suicidal thoughts, or showing signs of substance abuse? Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour course designed to help you respond in these situations.
A TWO-DAY COURSE NEAR YOU!
|MHFA for Adults
Thursdays, April 4 & 11
Saturdays, May 4 & 18
This groundbreaking 8-hour training course takes the fear and hesitation out of starting conversations about mental health and substance abuse. The course will give you the tools you need to identify when someone might be struggling with a mental health or substance use problem and connect them with appropriate support and resources when necessary.
Who can participate in Mental Health First Aid?
There are two types of Mental Health First Aid – youth and adult.
- Youth Mental Health First Aid is designed for adults who regularly interact with young people. Whether you are a parent, teacher, coach or church youth leader, understanding youth development and common mental health challenges is important.
- Adult Mental Health First Aid is designed for anyone over 18 years old.
What will I learn during a Mental Health First Aid course?
Just as CPR helps even those without clinical training assist an individual having a heart attack, Mental Health First Aid teaches participants how to recognize when someone may be struggling with a mental health or substance abuse challenge as well as how to intervene when a person experiences a mental health crisis. Mental Health First Aiders learn a 5-step action plan that guides them through the process of reaching out and offering appropriate support until professional help arrives.
Below is the 5-step action plan for providing support to someone experiencing a mental health or substance use crisis (ALGEE):
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm
- Listen nonjudgmentally
- Give reassurance and information
- Encourage appropriate professional help
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies
To find MHFA trainings near you: