Staying Active With Your Child Even When It’s Raining Outside
The rain is pouring for the second straight day and even the kids don’t want to play on the computer or watch television anymore. They want to DO something; we’ve got ideas!
Big Activity, Small Spaces
The 5-2-1-0 initiative offers a wide range of exercise. They include the traditional – jumping jacks and push ups – to the less known “breaths of joy” and “supermans”
From the Shasta County, California WIC office
Looking for some fun games that can easily, and safely, be played inside your house? See below for a list of engaging, fun activities that you and your kids can do together.
- Freeze Dance – Play music, when you stop the music, everyone has to freeze. They start dancing again when the music restarts.
- Animal Parade – Take turns pretending to be different animals. Walk around the room as the animal. Switch to a different animal. Make the animal sounds.
- Shoot Hoops – Use a laundry basket, bucket or paper bag and let the kids try to toss items in (such as a ball, stuffed animal or rolled up socks).
- Hide and Seek – Play the never-aging game throughout your house or apartment.
- Bowling – Set up empty juice cans/bottles or cereal boxes at one end of the room. Stand an agreed distance away and take turns rolling a soft ball into the cans or boxes.
- Obstacle Course – Make a mini obstacle course. Kids can climb under a table, hop over a pillow and around a chair.
- Hokey Pokey – Sing the hokey pokey and have your kids follow you in the dance.
If you have to watch a screen, use it to be active
We’ve found several free, online dance and exercise videos your children might enjoy.